Heal the world, put a smile on someones face today.

Thursday 13 March 2014

The boat mishap was a horrible experience, says survivor


The boat mishap was a horrible experience, says survivor

One of the survivors of the FESTAC boat mishap, Daniel Peters, last night relived his experience to The Nation, describing it as a horrible experience.

He narrated how he battled for his life underwater, amidst the terrible smell and trampling on him by other victims.

He said in a phone interview: “I just thank God for my life, the situation was not funny. We were more than 24 on the boat. The load was just excessive. It was the last boat for the day and everyone rushed in.

“I was returning from work when it happened. I work Swiss Bar and Lounge at Raji Rasak, FESTAC. As I was in the boat, suddenly, water started entering into the boat. At first it was like a joke but before we knew what was happening, the boat capsized. That was how we all fell under the water.

“It was battle for survival. I know how to swim but other people were pressing me under water. So, I was gradually losing strength. But when it occurred to me that I was going to die if I did not act fast, I mustered energy and swam with my last strength. That was how the divers saw me and they came to my rescue.

“We were seven in all that were rescued alive. Five men and two women, although the two women were not brought to the hospital with us. I do not know where they are or what happened to them. It was five of us, men, that were discharged from the hospital yesterday.”

No comments:

Post a Comment